Tuesday, October 30, 2007

#12 - rollyo

Much of this course covers sites that are not new to me, but Rollyo is something I had never heard of before. I found it fascinating and really useful. To a degree.

What I found useful was looking at other people's saved searches. Either to use their preconstructed search, or simply to find specific sites that have been used in the searches. It is a really good source of finding popular sites for specific subjects.

When it came to constructing my own search, however, I struggled to think of a type of search I tend to do regularly that would benefit from this. In the end I created 2 new searches. One for information about Australian finance & money markets, the other with a few of my regularly visited bike sites.

I found what I consider to be a slight limitation when creating the finance search. I wanted to add the URL www.theage.com.au/business/money to the search, but it still searches all of www.theage.com.au. Not the end of the world, but would be nice to limit the search to that part of the site. I then created the bikes search which I am reasonably happy with.

As is the case with so mayny sites, it was very easy to create some html so that my searches can both be searched from the sidebar of my blog.

No comments: